Thursday, December 18, 2014



I have been seeing these CUTE Hot Chocolate ornaments on Pinterest and decided to make one! I LOVE hot chocolate and peppermint! Putting these two items together along with whipped cream is just delish! I went to Michaels and got the ornaments on sale since they were having a huge Christmas sale. I totally advise anyone to go to Michaels or Hobby  Lobby when there are sales near any holiday or festival. Yes, you will spend money. BUT IT'S SO WORTH IT!

I decided to make my first How To post on creating this beautiful ornament because I was curious on how it would turn out as well as try my hand at something new! Without further ado, I will get along with the program.

Please let me explain one detail to you before moving forward: My pictures did not come out as stunning as I wanted them to. My camera auto focus is not functioning currently so I could not take pictures of me actually performing the work since I had to manually focus my camera. I am sorry. I hope you can forgive me. 

What you will need:


Hot Chocolate with marshmallows
Oval shaped ornaments (You can use any shape you want, I chose oval shape)
Sprinkles
Candy Canes

If you want to do this project right, you will need ONE more ingredient: Marshmellows. You can find a whole container of marshmallows for hot cocoa mix at any grocery store and the brand that sales these are Jet-Puffed. If you are visual like me, here's a picture.

Because I did not have these lovely extra marshmallows on hand, I shall show you the ghetto way of getting your marshmellows from the hot cocoa mix.

Some utensils you'll need:
Measuring cups
Bowl 
Blender 
Egg/Yolk separator
Funnel

First off, you'll need to scope 1/3 cup or 1/4 cup of hot cocoa mix from your container.


I did 1/3 cup of hot cocoa mix at first, but later went down to 1/4 cup. It depends on what you want and how big of a ornament you have. So play around until you get that perfect measure! 

Here is what I do to separate the marshmallows from the cocoa mix and it's completely ghetto but it works!



I dump a little bit of the cocoa mix into the yolk separator and shake it a little to get the cocoa into the bowl and all the while leaving the marshmallows in the yolk separator! I would then place the marshmallows in a bowl or separate container until I needed them. 

Don't have a yolk separator? Then use a strainer or a sifter! Either one will work.

Continue this process until the 1/3 cup or 1/4 cup of cocoa mix is completely separated. If you need more marshmallows, then scope another 1/4 cup and separate the same way. The extra cocoa can be used if you're making another ornament or you could make some hot cocoa for yourself right then and there. You could also just put it back in the bigger container.  Your choice.

Now that the cocoa and marshmallows are separated, take the ornament head off the glass part and put the funnel on the opening so you can pour your cocoa mix into the oranment. Do this carefully as the first time I did it, I made a mess and my dog decided to mop the floor. Ugh.

Now it's time to bring out the sprinkles!



You have your cocoa in your ornament, so take your funnel, adjust it on the ornament opening and pour your sprinkles! I did not measure as I was eying it to see how much I wanted in the ornament. I do not think there is a right or wrong way of doing this. It's all what you want, but you want to be able to see the different layers or goodies in your ornament.

Depending on how many ornaments you want to make, place 4-5 candy canes in your blender. I suggest if you want to make only one ornament, place only two candy canes into your blender.I broke mine into several pieces to make the chopping easier.


Blend it for a few short seconds until the candy canes are broken into tiny pieces. You want a mixture of dust like particles and some bigger pieces for beautification purposes.



I poured my chopped candy canes into a small cup that measures out to be 1/4 cup.



NOTE: I had to put this back in the blender because some pieces were too large to fit through my funnel.  Make sure your chopped candy cane is small enough for your funnel.

Next, I poured my crushed candy cane into the ornament. I only poured maybe 1/4 of the mixture from the above measuring cup into it. I tried to make sure I had an even amount of both sprinkles and candy cane inside. This is tough to do, but like I said, there's no right or wrong way of doing this.

Next, I took my saved marshmallows and placed them in the ornament by hand. I tried by funnel, but the marshmallows kept getting stuck and it got annoying quickly.

Put the ornament top back on and woola! You're done!



NOTE: I wanted to pour more marshmallows into the ornament, but I ran out of hot cocoa mix as I made several ornaments at one time.

All you need to do now is add some ribbon or twine to make it pretty! I had both on me and this is what I did to make it look beautiful:



Here's a perfect gift for yourself, a friend, or a White Elephant gift! You can make many variations of hot cocoa with this as it doesn't have to be candy canes and sprinkles. It can be anything you want! Get creative and have fun this Christmas season with your own hot chocolate ornament!

No comments:

Post a Comment