Thursday, January 15, 2015



I am sure you have heard many glorious things about Paris, France, that includes romance, wonderful scenery, and magical people. Even though the sights are beautiful (like the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, and the Arc de Triomphe), there are some huge lies that Hollywood and people do not tell you about Paris. I am here to tell you the truth and nothing but the truth.



Let me get this out here: I enjoyed going to Paris, I am very happy I did. I enjoyed my time while I explored and saw the great sights and wonders of Paris. But Paris was not my favorite place. To me, Venice was more romantic than Paris. Paris was busy while Venice was relatively slow, which made it seem more magical. That’s just my opinion.




And if you have been, you can make your own judgments about these truths about Paris. If you haven’t been, you can take it however you like it.




Lie #1: Paris is a place of love.

WRONG! Venice or even Berlin was more romantic than Paris. But it’s all about how you make it what it is, right? I didn’t feel the love as much in Paris as I did in other places. Now, did I enjoy the sights and ice cream? Oh yeah, I enjoyed that Pistachio ice cream cone I had while walking to the Louvre. 




Lie #2: Paris is full of men who compliment you.

Another Hollywood lie. If Hollywood terminology for complimenting is trying to look up your dress, then I guess thats the way I ought to have it. [I explain this more below] But when I feel like someone is trying to lift up my dress behind me, all it does is make me infuriated and not feel the romance that Hollywood told me I would feel. 

Well this hot man complimented me, so I guess in some ways, I lied


Okay, okay, so it was New Year Eve at the Eiffel Tower and there were all kinds of weird people around – not to mention that we were in a crowd of people trying to get under the tower. Maybe that had something to do with it.


But in Europe, people keep to themselves better than Americans do. I always felt safer because of the way Europeans keep to themselves. Men didn’t try to force themselves on you or bother you - for the most part. They kept their distance. This was really one of the only times any man in Europe tried to make a “move” (I guess that’s what you call it) on me and it just happened to be in Paris. 




You will also have to realize that, to me, Parisians are not 100% fond of Americans. They tolerate Americans because we bring them money, but they don’t totally like us. But if you ever had a man compliment you like they do in the movies, please tell your story. I would love to hear it!


Lie #3:  There are fireworks at the Eiffel Tower on New Year’s Eve.

Wrong! I was there New Year’s Eve 2012 and there was no fireworks! Fireworks are actually ban in Paris. So those pictures of fireworks lightening up the tower is just PhotoShopped. Don’t worry, I was disappointed when there was nothing. The tower does light up, but it does that every night.




Lie #4: Paris is a calm city.

If you want to say that honking horns 24/7, people chattering, and buses driving pass you is calm, okay then. But while I was there the two times, I never once heard a time when cars were not honking their horns. I believe it’s a fun thing to do if you’re a Parisians. Or everyone is just bad drivers. Or they are all in a hurry to get somewhere. I don’t really know.




Then you have the Arc de Triophme which is a six lane traffic circle with no lanes. Yes, I said it, no lanes. Can you imagine what that would do in America?! Wreck city! But they know how to drive that round about like a beast. I actually crossed that in rain (probably not a good idea). I would suggest that you be safe and take the tunnel that goes UNDER the round about that takes you to the Arc. We didn’t discovered that until the police told us about it. 


I have been there on New Year’s week 2012 and in May 2013. Both times were busy, but May was a better time to go. New Year’s, as you can imagine, was full of people and tourists everywhere you went. In May, it was still full of people, but the lines were much shorter. 




I would say if you like to get away from the business of Paris, then head up on the outskirts of Paris. I am sure there are still great places to see with ancient history! No matter where you go in Europe, you’ll always learn something new.


Lie #5: Parisians have perfect English.

LIE LIE LIE! Although many people speak English since Paris is an international city, it doesn’t mean they speak PERFECT English. It just means they speak it well enough to communicate what they want to you. The restaurants and museums are your best bet to finding people who speak very good English. But the other smaller places, you’ll probably have people who are like you, trying to speak French, which is not very good and struggle on almost every word.



I have gotten to the point that I can’t stand it when Hollywood makes out that every European have perfect, flawless English! I had European friends who lived in the U.S. for a while and still struggled with their English. So next time you watch a movie and the native European is speaking perfect English, just remember it’s a lie. 


It’s like filming a movie implying that all Americans speak Spanish, when in reality, we don’t. Just think about that concept.




On a POSTIVE note:
 

I did enjoy Paris while I was there. I am glad that I was able to go up the Eiffel Tower, see the Arc de Triophme, actually got to go into the Arc, went to the Louvre, and laid in the field before getting to the Eiffel Tower. Nathan and I went under the streets of Paris to see the skulls and bones from the past. That was creepy and cool all at the same time. 



We got to try out French food and enjoy eating ice cream. I did have fun and encourage all who want to go to Paris to go. I even encourage to take a loan out for an European trip because it’s a trip of a lifetime and I believe with all my heart that every American needs to get out of the States and experience life someplace else. The history and the sights are amazing, the food is to die for, and learning about a difference culture is too much fun. I would also encourage to plan to go to other places in Europe besides Paris. Everyone deserves to see and go up the Eiffel Tower once in their life.

No comments:

Post a Comment